Amalgam filling or also called Mercury fillings are not to be widely used since more than 10 years. So apparently if you still have one inside your tooth probably it will be a very old filling.
What is the problem with Mercury fillings?
Mercury filling were used at past because White tooth colored fillings (composite) were not hard enough at that time. But now and since more than 10 years Composite fillings are tough and withstand the bite forces almost like Natural teeth.
When to remove Mercury fillings?
- If too old filling.
- Unpleasant metal display.
- Cracks or fracture
- Irregular filling-tooth margin.
- Pain on cold or hot or during biting.
- Gums Tattooing or gums discoloration
- Experiencing any mercury poison symptoms.